Have you ever felt the sun breeze on your face as you make your way with your kayak? Do you remember the freedom you feel when you connect with the sea? And if you haven’t, you probably wonder how it feels like, how those paddlers think when they are on their adventure. Can you imagine how it feels to touch the water as you paddle over your kayak?
Personally, I believe, one of the greatest things our mother earth can offer is its nature. The beauty of our nature can be found in the heights of the mountain or under the depth of the sea. Both offer a different experience and feeling. In my opinion, mountains can challenge you in a way no one can do, While the sea provides serenity and calmness that can’t be found anywhere. As for the saying, let the sea set you free.
In this article, we will tell you about how the sea can offer such feelings from certain water activities. As you know, there are a lot of water sport activities you can do, such as swimming, surfing, diving, snorkeling, etc. While several sports activities require a particular skill set like swimming and breathing techniques for diving, some activities don’t need that — for example, kayaking. Anyone with basic mobility can go kayaking and enjoy the sea. But before that, let’s learn more about kayaking and what you need to prepare.
What Is Kayaking?
Kayaking is a water sport activity that allows you to travel and explore the water. It involves paddling that results in low impact activities. The plus side is it does not require swimming skill. Several types of kayaking can be categorized based on the kind of boats and the environment. For example:
- Whitewater kayaking. A kayak activity using a short boat for rough waters.
- Flatwater kayaking. A kayak activity using a longboat for flatwater on sea, lake, and river. These boats are more natural to steer and more comfortable than whitewater kayaks.
- Single Kayak. A kayak made for one person
- Double kayak. A kayak made for two people.
While kayaking sounds like solo water activities, it is kid-friendly. It is one of the most fun adventures a child can have. However, keep in mind that it is safer to bring a child with a minimum age of two years old. If you choose to do so, you can keep the child to sit in front of you for a double kayak. Don’t forget to bring the right safety gear. You can also let your older kid to paddle solo if the water is flat and safe.
Kayak Vs Canoe difference
I bet you a lot of people don’t know the difference between kayaking and canoeing. But a real fan of watersport knows they are not entirely the same. While a canoe used a single-bladed paddle, a kayak used a double-bladed paddle. And the sitting position is also different. When you use a canoe, you kneel facing forward in your canoe. When you use a kayak, you sit face ahead with your legs in front.
- Canoe uses a single-bladed paddle, kayak uses double-bladed paddle.
- Sitting position- a canoer kneel facing forward, a kayaker sits face ahead with legs straight in front
Kayaking can improve your aerobic fitness, strength, and flexibility. As an avid kayaking fan, I can share with you that these are the top kayaking benefits
- Improved cardiovascular fitness. This is a great way instead of jogging for cardio!
- Increased muscle strength, particularly in the back, arms, shoulders, and chest, from pushing the paddle against the water.
- Increased torso and leg strength, as the strength to power a canoe or kayak comes mainly from rotating the torso and applying pressure with your legs.
- Reduced risk of wear-and-tear on joints and tissues, since paddling is a low impact activity.
- Fitness and maintaining a slim and fit body as one hour of kayaking burns more than 350 calories
- Destress – all the natural scenery, the sights, the sound and smell of nature around you calms your body and mind.
- Paddling increase endorphins around you, improving your mood and reducing your work or life stress.
Preparation for Kayaking day trips or overnight long trips
When kayaking in the sea, you can go around and explore the water to reach coves or even private beaches. If you choose to kayak in the lake, the views might be different and filled with trees. You can also get closer to the wildlife. But remember, preparations are waiting to be made. Especially when you are planning to travel for a long time, there are supplies you need to store in the boat.
What to bring along for Kayak day trip?
Here are some essentials to bring along for your kayak day trip (or longer).
- Life jacket or personal float
- GPS device (or your smartphone) and map of the water bodies
- sunscreen and sunglasses
- Medical first aid kits
- Repair kit, self rescue kits
- Extra paddle
- Manual water pump
- water bottles and food
- Dry bag that keeps your food, smartphone, GPS, medical kit dry, safe and floats.
Life Jacket and Float for kayak / canoe
Personal floatation devices are mandatory when paddling be it kayaking or canoeing. Always wear it when you go on water sport activities.
Map & GPS
You can use this when you explore the waters. The map is for the alternative you can use when you go to a remote area where there is no signal. Or a compass if you prefer.
Medical first aid kits
A simple box containing plasters, aspirin, bandages etc would be useful.
Repair kits, Self-rescue devices
Bring things like whistle, orange smoke stacks, or red flares that can be used for distress signal devices. You need to learn how to use it first.
Sunscreen and sunglasses
If you are kayaking in the afternoon when the sun shines, make sure to apply sunscreen at least with 30+ SPF and use sunglasses. It’s important to dress for the conditions.
Just in case your primary paddle can’t be used on the spot, it’s better to be extra prepared.
Manual water pump
A manual water pump can be used to pump the water out of your kayak when needed.
Water and food.
Don’t forget to bring plenty of water and stay hydrated. Food is useful on kayaking trip too, especially compact snack bars, sandwiches or healthy fruits such as bananas.
Dry Bag for Kayaking or Canoeing
Flatwater kayaks usually come with waterproof compartments. In this part, you can store your clothes, food, or gear. But to make sure the water doesn’t get in when the current is high or if you accidentally tip over, you can use a dry bag. Get a decent dry bag that floats when your smartphone, your wallet and keys, food is inside and still floats.
Investing in a dry bag can be a smart way for your clothes and valuables like cell phones and camera because the dry hatches are not always as waterproof as it seems.
What Is A Dry Bag Used For?
A dry bag is a flexible container made from waterproof material that is used to store valuables things. It has an opening that can be sealed to prevent water flowing into the bag. No matter what water sports adventures you are going to choose, dry bags are needed to keep your gear protected and dry.
If you love any water sports, you will know that a dry bag can be a lifesaver for your valuables such as phones, wallets, keys, etc. Be it sea sports, or freshwater rivers, lakes etc, a dry bag keep your stuff dry, safe and floats on the water (I am assuming you don’t keep rock or gold bars inside the dry bags)
Are Dry Bags Waterproof?
Yes, usually it is made from plastic film, plastic-coated fabric, or waterproofed fabric. It creates an impermeable, water-ingress protected bag. The opening is designed to close and seal off completely so that water cannot get into the bag. When you use it, don’t forget to close the seal correctly to create a watertight seal.
Some of newer dry bags are made from nylon coated silicone, PVC, and some are made from vinyl.
Lazy Monk Dry Bags are made from ultra-strong PVC. It can protect against sand, dust, mud, and water. With a high-frequency hot pressing technology, Lazy Monk Dry Bags are 100% waterproof.
How Are Dry Bags Made
Dry bags are made of water-resistant fabric that it will be water impermeable. Fabric are treated with waterproofing layering to make sure the material is strong, flexible and waterproof. The dry bag is designed and manufactured to have a roll-top cover which should be rolled or folded to ensure a watertight seal. The shaping and cutting of the bag is made by sewing, welding, or gluing. Some new brands offer a high-frequency hot pressing technology like Lazymonk. This ensures the dry bag can lasts for years of outdoor use.
What Is The Best Dry Bag?
There are many established brands out there and favoritism aside, do make sure the dry bag that you seek can
- keep your items dry
- made of great material that last for years
- with great straps that endure and lasts because you do not want your bag to drift off
Dry bag customers reviews and benefits
Lazy Monk dry bag has some of the best 5 stars reviews out there. Here are some dry bag reviews and strengths of dry bags customers have left:-
- Keep all your valuable dry and safe
- Lazy Monk drybag has five years warranty.
- Feature robust hardware and shoulder straps
- Made of thick material that is not only waterproof but act as a protective cover for your items
The seal works well and the fabric is extremely water proof, the dry bag can be used in many water sport activities like kayak, surfing or swimming, it will keep your gears in perfect condition. You can store your wallet, clothes, camera, and your cellphone.
The strap is adjustable, soft, and durable. The lock will prevent accidental opening.
Made from durable material that is strong and crack resistant.
Promotion: We are providing extra bonus since this is our 10 year anniversary of the dry bag launch
FREE BONUS items consist:
- Waterproof cell phone case. With a front and back clear window
- Versatile bandana. Can be used in both cold and hot weather
- Booklet of Useful information and instructions
What Size Dry Bag Do I Need?
It depends on how many things you are going to bring and what items you are going to store. There is a varied range of sizes available, from small to large. Here are what different sized dry bags can hold
- Small: enough for camera or smartphone or wallet. Or you can use it to store your first aid kit or flashlight.
- Medium: sufficient for one sleeping bag or clothes. It can be used to store backpacks or food.
- Large: enough for several sleeping bags and a folded tent
As a rough guide on what size dry bag you want to bring, you may prefer 20L capacity (big enough to hold 5.28 gallons of water) as a medium-large dry bag if you are packing a lot of stuff. For short day kayaking trips, a smaller 10L capacity (big enough to hold 2.64 gallons) dry bag is sufficient.
Just remember, whether you choose to whitewater kayak or flatwater kayaking, make sure all the preparations are done correctly. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
When you plan your trip, do some research and find out about the places where you go kayaking. Choose the most prepared and safest option, and don’t forget to have fun.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1